Arie (Aart-Jan) Riekhoff
Areas of research
- Social inequalities in work and retirement
- Careers and labour market mobility across the life course
- Political economy of labour market and pension reforms
My research focuses on the ways people transition from work to retirement. I am mainly interested in the role of individual characteristics and different life courses on the one hand, and the role of labour-market structures and policy context on the other. Apart from studying the Finnish situation, I am keen on doing comparative research. My academic background is in quantitative Sociology and Social Policy. I am particularly interested in using advanced and innovative methods to analyse longitudinal register and survey data.
Ongoing research projects
- Extending working lives – a comparative approach
- Health shocks, couples’ adjustment in the labour market and cumulative (dis)advantage
- Income, Pensions, Poverty and Experiences (IPPE)
- Employer survey 2021: Employers’ position on ageing workers and retirement
Read more: Ongoing Research Projects.
- Riekhoff, A.-J. & Ojala, S. & Pyöriä, P. (2021) Career stability in turbulent times: A cross-cohort study of mid-careers in Finland. Acta Sociologica, ahead of print publication.
- Riekhoff, A.-J. (2020) Pension reforms, the generational welfare contract and preferences for pro‐old welfare policies in Europe. Social Policy & Administration, ahead of print publication.
- Ojala, S. & Pyöriä, P. & Riekhoff, A.-J. (2020) Career stability in 14 Finnish industrial employee cohorts in 1988–2015. Nordic Journal of Working Life Studies, ahead of print publication.
- Riekhoff, A.-J. & Ojala, S. & Pyöriä, P. (2020) Teollisuustyöntekijöiden työurat 14 kohortilla: pirstoutuneet vai vakautuneet? In Ojala, S. & Pyöriä, P. (eds.) Pirstoutuvatko työurat?: Teollisuusalat talouden ja teknologian murroksissa. Tampere University Press: Tampere.
- Riekhoff, A.-J. & Kuitto, K. & Palomäki, L.-M. (2020) Substitution and spill-overs between early exit pathways in times of extending working lives in Europe. International Social Security Review 73 (2): 27–50.
- Foulkes Savinetti, N. & Riekhoff, A.-J. (eds.) (2020) Shaping and re-shaping the boundaries of working life. Tampere University Press: Tampere.
- Riekhoff, A.-J. & Järnefelt, N. & Laaksonen, M. (2020) Workforce composition and the risk of labor market exit among older workers in Finnish companies. Work, Aging and Retirement 6 (2): 88–100.
- Riekhoff, A.-J. (2019) De-standardisation and differentiation of retirement trajectories in the context of extended working lives in the Netherlands. Economic and Industrial Democracy 40 (4): 890–912.
- Riekhoff, A.-J. & Krutova, O. & Nätti, J. (2019) Working-hour trends in the Nordic countries: Convergence or divergence? Nordic Journal of Working Life Studies 9 (3): 45–70.
- Riekhoff, A.-J. & Krutova, O. & Nätti, J. (2019) The 24/7 economy and work during unsocial hours in Europe: Examining the influence of labor market dualization, regulation and collective bargaining. Economic and Industrial Democracy, ahead of print publication.
- Riekhoff, A.-J. (2018) Retirement trajectories in the Netherlands and Finland. Institutional Change, Inequalities, de-standardisation and destabilisation. Finnish Centre for Pensions, Studies 05/2018: Helsinki.
- Riekhoff, A.-J. & Järnefelt, N. (2018) Retirement trajectories and income redistribution through the pension system in Finland. Social Forces 97 (1): 27–54.
- Riekhoff, A.-J. (2018) Institutional and socio-economic drivers of work-to-retirement trajectories in the Netherlands. Ageing & Society 38 (3): 568–593.
- Riekhoff, A.-J. (2018) Extended working lives and late-career destabilisation: A longitudinal study of Finnish register data. Advances in Life Course Research 35: 114–125.
- Riekhoff, A.-J. & Järnefelt, N. (2017) Gender differences in retirement in a welfare state with high female labour market participation and competing exit pathways. European Sociological Review 33 (6): 791–807.
- Riekhoff, A.-J. (2017) The divergent logics of labour market reforms in times of permanent austerity. International Journal of Social Welfare 26 (1): 5–20.
- Ilmakunnas, S. & Riekhoff, A.-J. (2016) Health and retirement. THL – Data Brief 2016/11.
- Riekhoff, A.-J. (2015) Globalisaatio ja työmarkkinauudistukset Euroopassa: kompensaatio- ja tehokkuushypoteesit uudelleenarvioinnissa. Työelämän tutkimus 13 (3): 174–192.