Pensions from Abroad

The Finnish Centre for Pensions acts as the liaison body when a person residing in Finland claims a pension from an EU/EEA country, Great Britain, Switzerland or a social security agreement country (Australia, Canada, Chile, India, Israel, Japan, Quebeck, South Korea and the United States).

We are in charge of handling claims for a pension from abroad and participate in the related exchange of information between the foreign and Finnish pension providers and Kela. We transmit the pension claim and other data required for a pension decision to the EU/EEA countries and social security countries (as well as to Great Britain and Switzerland) that the claimant has been insured in and from which they claim a pension.

Instructions on claiming a pension from abroad

Claim a pension from abroad with the same form as you claim a pension from Finland. You can submit your claim online via the website of most earnings-related pension providers. Go to Työelä for more detailed instructions on how to claim a pension from abroad.

Go to Työelä


See our replies to frequently asked questions about pensions from abroad.


Retirement ages in different countries

At the moment, retirement at age 65 years is common in EU Member States. Many countries have decided to raise the retirement age to 67 years. For the main part, the changes in retirement ages are scheduled to take place between 2020 and 2030.

Retirement ages

EU Cooperation

The Finnish Centre for Pensions cooperates in, monitors and participates in the development of earnings-related pensions also on an international level.

EU Cooperation

Finnish Centre for Pensions – Central body of and expert on statutory earnings-related pensions